Monday 21 October 2013

Life Drawing- Dramatic Effect


This time in our life drawing class we were trying to learn how to make an image look more dramatic. Last week we looked at shading and tone this time it was more about the contrast of dark and light areas in the image. To be honest I didn't understand out teacher fully but I tried anyway and did what she told us to do. The reason the objects are so simple is because she didn't want us to focus on detail but rather the way the light shines onto the objects. 



We were told to draw the image using charcoal. My charcoal was willow charcoal so it was a bit too light. 

  • First we were told to draw the horizon line and the follow the outline of the objects over the horizon line
  • After that we drew the outlines of the object under the horizon line (so my proportions were a bit off) 
  •  We then shade in the darker areas thickly with charcoal
  • Then we use tissue, or in our case toilet paper, and smudge the charcoal into one direction. 
  • When it is smudged we use a rubber and rub out the parts that are light. 
  • We then repeated this process a few times until eventually the image had a dramatic effect and a sense of depth. 

I tried to take as many pictures as I could to show this process. I am not sure if the outcome is what the teacher hoped for. but at least I tried. 











No comments:

Post a Comment