Wednesday 2 July 2014

National Gallery of Ireland

I have been so busy enjoying summer holidays that I completely forgot about this blog. Here are a few photographs of paintings that I liked when visiting the National Gallery.

Helen Mabel Trevor
The Fisherman's Mother 

The old woman is painted so well that she almost looks realistic. 



Circle of Frans Hals (1581-1666)
The Lute Player

I found this painting interesting. Maybe because of the frame or because I like instruments I am not sure. 

Sit John Lavery
Killarney/ Portrait of Lady Lavery as Kathleen ni Houlihan (1927)

I like this painting. 

Sir John Lavery
The Artist's Studio (1909/13)

The scale of this painting is impressive and overwhelming. 

Richard Thomas Moynan
'Military Manoeuvres' (1891)

I like the playfulness in this painting. Even though the children look poor they are still having fun. 

William Davis
A View of the Rye Water near Leixlip (1850s)

This painting is beautiful and makes me think of something from a fairy tale. It is one of my favourites from the Gallery. 


William Ashford
A view of Dublin from Chapelizod (1795-98)

Sadly the amount of detail of the city/town  in this painting is not visible in this photograph. 

Titian (Tiziano Vecellio) 
Ecce Homo (1558-1560)

It is well painted. 

Jacques Yverni
The Annunciation (c. 1435)

It is hard to make out the gold paint in this photograph, but it really made this painting stand out. 

Zanobi di Jacopo  Machiavelli
Virgin and Child Enthroned with Saints (c.1470)

I like the colouring in this painting. 

Antoniazzo Romano 
The Virgin Evoking God to Heal the Hand of Pope Leo I (c.1475)

I like the use of gold in this painting, it looks much better in person. 

Jusepe Ribea
St. Onuphrius (c. 1635) 

This painting is incredible. All the little details make him look real.  It is very very well painted and probably one of my favourites from the Gallery. 

Johannes Vermeer
A Lady Writing a Letter, with her Maid (c. 1670)

I didn't even know this famous painting was in Ireland. It was much smaller than I thought. I like the way the lighting was done. 

Jacob van Ruisdael
The Castle of Bentheim (1653)

I think this was my absolute favourite from the Gallery. It was super detailed and just amazing. 

Thomas Gainsborough 
The Cottage Girl (1785) 

I thought that the little girl in this painting looked really cute. 

Jules Adolphe Aime Louis Breton 
The Gleanners (1854) 

Here is another famous painting I didn't know was in the National Gallery of Ireland. What I love about this painting is that it looks 3D. 

Paul  Signac
Lady on the Terrace (1898)

I find the style of the painting interesting (Pointillism) 

Overall I really enjoyed visiting the National Gallery. I was surprised by all of the famous paintings the Gallery had. There were much more than I expected. For example a Picasso painting, Vermeer, Breton, Caravaggio and the famous painting Hellelil and Hildebrand, The Meeting on the Turret Stairs by Frederic William Burton. Sadly due to the bad condition that painting is in it can only be seen for one hour twice a week...or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment