Friday 7 March 2014

Interesting Storyboards

While I was working on my storyboard for Short Sighted  I came across an interesting book in the library containing all sorts of different kind of storyboards. Some of them were from very famous movies such as Psycho, Star Wars and many more. I picked out the ones which interested me most from the book, due to the style of drawing our the clouring used. 
 
Gone with the Wind (1939)

Director: Victor Fleming 
Storyboards: William Cameron Menzies
 I remember this movie well. When I was a child my grandmother was always watching it. From this movie I learned my first word which was Scarlett, the name of the main female role. I love the way colour is used in this storyboard.

Psycho (1960)

Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Storyboards: Saul Bass
 I like the Sketchy comic style that was used for this storyboard. 

The Inn of the Sixth Happiness (1958)

Director Mark Robson
Storyboards: Olga Lehmann; production design by John Box
This one is sooooo colourful and it has so much details but is still somehow sketchy, I like that.
 
Spartacus (1960)
 
Director: Stanley Kubrick
Storyboards: Saul Bass ( as visual consultant)
I like the sketchy look.

Apocalypse Now (1979)
 
Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Storyboard: Alex Tavoularis and Thomas A. Wright
This one is super sketchy with little colour but it just looks so awesome.
 
 Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
 
Director: Steven Spielberg
Storyboards: Ed Verreaux
I like the comic-look and the way I can easily imagine the green smoke stuff to move.
 
 Animal Farm (1954)
 
Director: John Halas and Joy Batchelor 
Storyboards: Phillip Stapp
Despite the actual content of what happens in the storyboard it looks very friendly like in children's books. I also like the fact that each picture looks like a painting.
  
 The Wrong Trousers (1993)
 
Director: Nick Park
Storyboards: Nick Park
What I like about this storyboard is that I can easily imagine the scene happening in my head from just looking at it.
 
 Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
 
Director: Guillermo del Toro
Storyboards: Raul Monge 
This storyboard is drawn very nicely with much detail and it is easy to imagine the scene happening.
 
 Anna Karenina (2012)
 
Director: Joe Wright
Storyboards: David Allcock
What I like about this storyboard is that it looks like a proper comic.

Overall I think my favourite types of storyboards ate the sketchy ones.

2 comments:

  1. Julia, what was the name of the book you took the pages from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Art of Movie Storyboards: Visualising The Action Of The World's Greates Films by Fionnuala Halligan. :)

      Delete